Plein air painting is a phrase borrowed from the French equivalent meaning "open (in full) air". It is particularly used to describe the act of painting outdoors.
On Saturday, June 10th, the mile-high mountain community of Idyllwild will be featuring 25 artists from around Southern California. The marriage of live art and picture perfect scenery is why this particular event is a favorite for both artists and art enthusiasts.
The event starts on Friday, June 9th, where visitors and artists are invited to attend a live painting demonstration by well-known plein air artist, Rich Stergulz. Space to this free event is limited. To reserve a seat at the live demonstration, click here.
The energy continues on Saturday, June 10th, when up to twenty-five artists will be competing for prize money. They will start "chasing the light" early that morning with the competition ending at 2pm. Artists will be set up around town and in four designated private gardens in Idyllwild.
In addition to the live painting competition, many of our galleries and art hot spots will also have featured live art demonstrations at their business locations from 10am-2pm. An event information booth will be set up in front of Middle Ridge Winery Tasting Gallery on Saturday, the 10th, from 8:30am-2pm.
The event finale will be Saturday's artist reception at Middle Ridge starting at 5:30pm. The upstairs gallery will feature finished artwork of each participating artist with all art for sale. Open to the public, in addition to mingling with the artists and congratulating the winners, the reception will be an opportunity to meet the guest judge. Gallery will also be open Sunday, June 11th, from Noon-4pm.
Important Dates for Artists
- Online registration required. Deadline for registering is May 27th at 5pm.
- Awards and prize money will be given to 1st place $300, 2nd place $200, and 3rd place $100.
- Space is limited to 25 artists. No refunds.
- Mediums accepted are Oil, Acrylic, Watercolor, Pastel, Gouache, and Pencil.
- IMPORTANT: When registering, artists will be asked to acknowledge the Artist Information document. Click here to print and read before registering.
- We are offering two different time windows for artists to check-in. Dates, times, and location are outlined in the Artist Information printout.
- The registration fee for members of the Art Alliance of Idyllwild is discounted. To become a member and enjoy additional member benefits throughout the year, click here.
- A 30% commission to the AAI will apply for all artwork sold during the two-day gallery show.
- If you need overnight lodging, please consider staying at one of our patron inn locations.
(Location: Middle Ridge Winery at 54301 N. Circle)
Event Chairs for this event are Judy Hoyt and Rob Padilla. You may contact them at 951-692-6135 or email@example.com.
- Event Registration Deadline: Sat. May 27th (5pm)
- Optional Early Artist Check-In: Fri. June 9th (4pm-5pm)
- Day Of Artist Check-In: Sat. June 10th (7am-8:30am)
- Completed Art Check-In: Sat, June 10th (12:30-2pm)
- Artist Reception: Sat, June 10th, (5:30-7:30pm)
- Unsold Art Pick Up: Sun, June 11th, 4pm-6pm